Monday, May 22, 2006

Trip to the Mountains

We went to the Jemez Mountians last Thursday. It was the first time we had been since last fall. It was a very leaserly, idealic, day. We wern't in any hurry and stopped here and there to take photos. We were upset at how dry the country looked and hope, hope, hope that there will soon be rain to soak into the very thristy soil, giving the plants, trees, and everything else a much needed drink. We didn't see any elk, or deer, but did see tracks. We only spotted a couple of chipmonks that disappeared in record time. And there were an couple of bluejays, ravens, flickers (a type of woodpecker) and nuthatches.
I don't expect to go to the mountains again for a while which is very disappointing. Memoral weekend is always way to crowded. We were pleased that we were able to get out and see no one or hear any other cars or trucks. It was wonderful to breath fresh air that didn't smell of city polution.
If it doesn't rain, and I mean a lot of rain, that I don't expect, I figure the Forest Service will close of the National Forests here in New Mexico as it is just to dry and dangerious to have them open. Most people do not seem to understand the idea of being careful with campfires, cigerates, and dirt bikes and ATVs that can cause sparkes that start fires. I hate the idea of not going to visit my favorite mountains when I want do but neither do I want to see them burn down do to someones carelessness.

No comments:

Post a Comment