Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Memorial Day

Hope everyone had a decent weekend and either a day off or more pay if they had to work.
I got tired of the wind and the car races. So took off yesterday afternoon and visited our local veterans Memorial Park in Rio Rancho. It was nice and cool under the shade of the trees in the water-wise garden maintained by the city. Several nice desert willows, daylillies and other easy to grow plants, but lots of grass in the Memorial Area. Way to much grass for a desert garden. But still it is nice to know that there is such a pretty little park near me where I can see trees and grass.
Yes, I have planted trees in my chunk of desert land, but they are struggling do to no rain and way to much hot wind. I spent a good portion of my weekend watering my trees, and the containers I have planted with a few roses, tomatoes, petuninas, marigolds, and zennias. and my houseplants that I have put outside for the summer. Sometimes I wonder why I even try to grow plants here. Everytime they start looking a bit decent and like they might survive for a while and heck of a wind and sand storm comes up and rips them to shreds.
But I guess I will keep trying. It seems to be one of those things I can't help. It seems like I am addicted to growing things from seeds, or buying small plants at the nursery and trying to nurture them into the big magnificent plants I see in photos of places that get more rain than we do.

No comments:

Post a Comment