Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Ganglion Cyst







It looks like I may not be posting much over the next month or so. I have had a ganglion cyst on my wrist for about 15 years. The past six months or so it has become much larger and much more painful. This link tells about these common type of cyst if you are interested. http://http//orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=a00006 or at http://http//www.assh.org/Public/HandConditions/Pages/GanglionCysts.aspx

I took some photos of my wrist and thumb but you can't see that much. I have the one that is below my thumb which is about an inch or so across, and I have one in the joint of my thumb. They are caused by repetitious use which in my case has probably been from using a keyboard to much and to long. I started using the old Royal typewriters about 45 years ago. Those old ones took lots of finger power to make the keys go down enough to print since they weren't electric. I was thrilled when I got my first electric typewriter. Then it was on to cash registers as I was a cashier at most of the jobs I have had. At the other jobs I had I used computer keyboards all day. Computer keyboards are a lot better than those old typewriters but still it is a constant repetition of the joint.

Mechanics get these same type of cysts from turning wrenches and screwdrivers even though the cysts are more common in women than men. Some sports cause them like gymnastics and golf, and rodeo roping.

The surgery is a day surgery, in and out the same day, and is set for about the middle of this month. So my first question to the doctor was how long before I would be able to type with my right hand again.

She said it would be about a month. I right handed so it will be very awkward to do lots of things for that month although I have already been trying to do some things with my left hand instead of my right. But typing with just the left leads to some weird spelling.

I will look at emails and will try to answer them if I can, but don't expect much.





2 comments:

  1. Oh bummer! Technology can be more trouble than it's benefits. I hope the surgery goes well and you heal up quickly and are able to come back to visit the blog world again very soon.

    Take care,
    ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Get well soon! Take care.

    ReplyDelete