Sunday, October 26, 2008

Tomatoes

It finally really froze and we had to pick all the tomatoes to keep them from freezing. Of course it got worm again afterward. But what to do with all those tomatoes, many of them are still green. You can only eat so many green fried tomatoes and tomato salads, and the neighbors will only take some many, too.
After spending several hours on the Internet looking at recipes I settled on a recipe for enchilada sauce. So I spent this morning finding and cleaning all my canning equipment that hasn't been used in about 5 years, and then I boiled the tomatoes just until they split for peeling. Next hubby, Lee, and I took turns using the old antique, cone-shaped juicer and wooden cone-shaped crusher for smashing the warm fruit until the juice and pulp were separated from the seeds, and pulp.
Now to add the chili power and other seasoning and let it slow cook in my slow cooker. If the sauce comes out I will add the recipe later.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, that's quite a project. Hope it turns out great for all the work you're putting into it.

    ReplyDelete