Friday, May 20, 2011

Bad Horses

I had the farrier out to trim hooves on my horses yesterday and what bad horses they were. I have never had them be this bad before. I may not do much else with my horses but I do insist that they lead nicely, let me groom them, which includes brushing, combing manes and tails, and giving them a bath. Most important of all is that they stand and let the farrier trim their hooves without raising a fuss. I have a wonderful farrier who gives them a horse cookie after he does each hoof. This time all they thought they should have was the treats. I expected my mini cross to do this but he was worse than I expected. He has been getting really bad about demanding a constant stream of treats every time someone wants to groom or pet him. I have been working with him a lot to stop this and it he had seemed to be getting better, but yesterday he was worse than ever.
My old horse, Sunny was doing OK until he saw the farrier drop a cookie while he was doing the forth hoof. Sunny decided that he should get the cookie instead of standing still so that the forth hoof could be finished. Then there was Star, my blind mare. Now she has had her hooves done several times since she went blind and has done OK. NOT this day. I really think she got confussed as to where she was. Two hooves were done and she got all upset. Finally we let her smell noses with Sunny and Nita and as long as she was where she could 'smell' that they were right there with her she would let him do the other two hooves.
All in all it was a rough experence and I was so embarassed. Never have they do so bad. But it was windy. Mine and lots of other horses are never as well behaved when it is windy. It wasn't that windy. Not for here. But still it was windy. Gusts up to about 15 mph, which is considered a breeze here. I keep hoping that was really the problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment