Saturday, January 24, 2009

Cookie Time

Haven't been doing much with the horses other than feeding and water. But the past couple of days I have been spoiling them to getting cookies and peppermints. Star loves peppermint candy so does Sundance, and Stormy. Nita and Trave refuse to eat them, but will really beg for horse cookies which all the horses and ponies love. Horse candy is called desert cubes at the feedstore where I buy them. They are special treats for horses made out of grain and molasses and come in a 50 pound bag. You can get all kinds of special treats for horses - apple treats, carrot treats, and others usually in small containers that wouldn't last one round of treats for my begging bunch of muchers. But the desert cubes I buy seem to be the least expensive and I know the horses love them. Of course my horses love real carrots and apples too. I make sure to cut them in small chunks so there is no chance they can choke on them. Apples especially are easy for a horse to choke on and even more so for the ponies. I cut them in slices with the core removed as I have heard that the seeds can be poison. Don't know how true it is but no point in taking a chance on it. No since in taking chances with the carrots either. Stormy, the mini has a really small mouth in comparision to the big horses and needs small bits.
Treats are good but now they are getting the idea that they grow in my hands and pockets and they start searching for treats as soon as they see me while making little begging noises. Sometimes you would think that they never get fed the way they act. Yeah my horses and ponies are becoming good actor trying to convince me they didn't already have a handfull of cookies just minutes before. I'm not fooled but I am a sucker and give out more.

1 comment:

  1. Horses learn from the repetition. If you skip a time here and there, they will quite thinking that you will always feed them treats. That's what I have to do here. With this many horses I could spend an entire day just handing out goodies. The horses would probably love it but I sure wouldn't get anything else done. LOL

    ReplyDelete