Sunday, November 11, 2007

Names

Thanks for all the kind comments about the scarey moments. I still shudder when I think about it. Nita is doing fine. She is still sort of stiff in the injured leg but it has only been a week and will take more time. When I cleaned it today she wanted to run round and round on the lead but didn't think she should yet. I think it was Simply Marvoulous that asked the name of my black horse. (I was admiring her black horse and felt so bad that she lost him recently.) That is BlackJack, and he is a Morgan gelding about 14 years old. I didn't like the name he came with and that owner had only had him for a short time with that name and didn't know his previous name. I was having a hard time finding a name for him and a friend said he looked like a BlackJack. So it stuck. He is a great horse. Likes people and a good trail horse.
Nita is short for Bonita Rascal, her registored name. She is a 7 year old quarter horse. We, also, have the black 2 year old mini/shetland who's name is Stormy. Stormy's half brother, my pinto pony, is Traveler, also, known as Trave amd Travey. Traveler is Walker/shetland, and only a yearling.
Not to be forgotten is my first horse, Stardust. She is about 8 and is probably a mustang cross. I do know she came off the Laguna Indian Reservation. She has a brand but have been unable to trace it. Several people have told me it is an Indian brand. A lot of the horses that come off that reservation are crossed with a group of mustangs that are in that area of New Mexico. Actually Star is a pony, at only13 and a half hands. She is a red sorrel, or a chestnut with a star but gets Appolossa spots in the summer on her neck, belly and chest. She looses the spots in the winter. I have had her since she was a yearling.
Last but not least is Sonny. He is about 20 years old. A brown and white paint that looks to be mostly Quarter Horse. He was left with me while his owner moved to another state until he could come back and get him. But he never did. And that was 3 years ago.

1 comment:

  1. Black Jack! Perfect name !

    Pretty famous horse ... "Black Jack". (The US Army's last "riderless" horse.)

    I'm sure you remember the photos of Kennedy's funeral procession with beautiful "Black Jack".

    ReplyDelete