Saturday, November 17, 2007

Jack's Name

At first when I named BlackJack I didn't think of the death of President Kennedy (1963) but someone mentioned to me it was the name of the horse that was the 'riderless horse' in his funeral. Several people have said that his name, color and shape remind them of that famous horse. The death of our Present made a lasting impression on me as a 13 year old at the time. Being a horse lover and growing up in the Air Force that horse made a big impresion, too. I do remember watching him on TV during the funeral possession, and behind the casket. There is a photo of him at this site.
He was used as the 'riderless horse' at the funerals of President Hoover (1964) and President Johnson (1973) and for General MacArthur (1964). Blackjack was thought to be a Morgan/Quarter Horse. and lived from 1947-1976. The Army used a lot of Morgan horses until horses were not used in the military anymore.
My BlackJack is, also, a Morgan.

No comments:

Post a Comment