Thursday, November 08, 2007

Horse Slave

I swear that Nita is enjoying playing the part of an invalid to much. I really think she went to sleep today while I was running cold water over her hurt leg. She even closed her eyes. But her leg is much better. She barely limps at all, and most of swelling is gone. Still keeping her and Star apart so no one gets hurt again. I am not thrilled with playing nursemade to an equine.
I really think that horse vets should teach classes on equine first aide and all things a person needs to know about how to take care of an injured or sick horse. Like how to wrap a leg, how to get a pill down an equine throat, or how to give powered meds that are so fine they want to blow away when a horse breaths on them. What to do for colds, horse flu, or diarrhea, and the proper feed for all those 'easy keepers', and those you can't seem to get any weight on. (If you have ponies and quarter horses like I do, you might find you have fat ponies, while the quarter horses ribs are showing even thorugh you feel like you don't do anything but feed one horse, and you feel like you are starving the ponies and they are still fat.)
And another thing - how did horse people wrap legs before 'vet wrap' was invented. I think I own stock in the company. I use it on the dogs as well as the horses, and a couple of times on my self. And it really works great when you need to wrap the willow tree thats dripping sap where it is missing a chunk of bark because hubby backed into it.

1 comment:

  1. You are right ... that vet wrap can be used for just about everything.

    When we were breeding alpacas, used vet wrap on the tails of the females. That looked "cute" especially bright pink.

    Now, about equine first aid: a few lessons at the beginning would help. It took us 30 years and a shelf full of books ... and still worry about even the simple things.

    ReplyDelete