Friday, September 22, 2006

?Winter?

Winter seems to have arrived in New Mexico, Colorado, and a few other states on the day that Fall officially begins. Colorado has had lots of snow, and New Mexico has had some in the higher elevations. I really don't look forward to a hard, cold winter but it looks like we might be in for one. I have informed the horses they should grow long, thick winter coats as it look like it will be a lot worse than the mild winter we had last year. So far it doesn't seem as if they are growing much hair. I have upped their ration of grain adding some corn oil and other vitumins hoping it will help. The fact that the hay, and alfhala crops this summer have been very poor isn't helping either. The best alfhala hay I can find has very little leaf and way to much stem in it. And so far I can't get any decent grass hay. I really don't look forward to buying blankets for the horses, but may have to. We haven't been cold enough for years to need them.
Maybe this is just a weird system of weather going through for a day or so. We can hope so.
Guess I should go out and try to get some of the house plants in before they freeze.

1 comment:

  1. I thought animals instinctively knew these sorts of things. Or have they become like us, a bit lost in our modern conveniences?

    I read that the Farmer's Almanac is predicting a cold winter across most of the US, but who knows? I know we're having an unusually cool September here in Houston, at least by our standards.

    WRT alfalfa, have you looked around the Bosque-Belen area? Some of my father's neighbors grow alfalfa, and my dad's an old farm boy from way back, so I'd be happy to ask him to check around, if you like. One of my uncles may even have a crop this year, for all I know.

    ReplyDelete