Sunday, August 13, 2006

Electric

Did you ever stop to think about how our everyday life rotates around electricity.

Our electricity was off today for about four hours. Never figured out why. Probably to many people using air conditioning on a Sunday afternoon. And it was hot. I know it wasn't that long but I thought it would never come back on. And of course electric company wouldn't even answer the phone, and the automated system to tell you where and why power outages were said there wasn't one here. But we knew there was as all the neighbors were talking to everyone about it.

It seems we now use electricity for eveything. Computer, air conditioner, TV, and radio, sterio, to wash dished, and cloths, and even our telephone. (even cell phones have to charge on electricity). And even worse for us it envoles our use of water. Most of the time if you are on city water when the electricity goes out you still have water. But here at the Tumbleweed Crossing there is a small well for every three homes. When the electricity is of there goes the water as each well is run by an electric pump. And if you have a neighbor like I do - well they haven't the since to concerve water even when the electricity is on let alone when it goes out.

So for about four hours today I did nothing but sit and try to keep as relaxed and comfortable as I could in sweltering 100 degree weather with out any modern convenences and no running water. Not fun.

1 comment:

  1. I think about that sort of thing all the time because I've been writing novels based in a post-peak oil society.

    But on a more "today" note, have you looked into solar panels or a windmill for backup power? My father is doing that for his Bosque farm. He doesn't need it so much for the house (adobe), but for the well. I think when he priced a windmill for the pump, it came out to something quite reasonable. $3K comes to mind, but I could be hallucinating.

    ReplyDelete