Monday, September 15, 2008


The other day we went and started our fall woodcutting trips to the Jemez Mountains. The last few times we have been there we haven't seen any deer or elk. This time we saw 3 deer. The first one ran across the road in front of us on the way to where we wanted to check for wood. We got to where we wanted to go and spent several hours going from one fallen log to another using the chainsaw to cut it up and then stacking it on the pickup. We moved the truck again, not taking any precautions to not scare any animals that might be in the area as by now we assumed they would all be in hiding or long gone somewere else. Just as lee got out the chainsaw again I turned and there was a deer not more than 200 yards from us. We spent several minutes watching her. I assumed it was a her as it didn't have any antlers. But instead of watching us she seemed more interested in looking off to our left. She walked off in that direction when I got this photo of her. As I followered her she let me get even closer. Then I saw another one. It, too, seemed to be a doe as there were no antlers. I was able to get with in about 50 yards of them, then they would walk off a few feet. Finally they and I got tired of the game and they took off. I have never had deer do this with me before. It was very unusuall. I do hope they learn that humans can be dangerous as hunting season is near, and there are many hunters that will shot a doe even though it is against the law.

No comments:

Post a Comment