Friday, June 09, 2006

Sprinkles

We finally had a few sprinkles of rain yesterday and early this morning. It was so wonderful to smell rain. I don't believe there is a more enjoyable smell than the first big drops of life-giving water dropping out of a gray, cloud-covered sky, to hit the dirt, causing little geysers of dust to spring into the heavy, damp air near the ground. To me it is a smell that signals the revival of life.
But here in New Mexico usually it is just a handful of those big, drops of rain followed by disappointment that there aren't more. Last evening we got a few more. It was actually enough that you could get wet in it if you continued to stay out in it. And I did. It isn't that often that I get to stand in the rain and I wanted to enjoy it while I could. A few minutes later it was over and the clouds were passing on to the east to drop more rain than we had on the city of Albuquerque.
This morning I got woke up at about 5:30 am by an unusual sound. It was rain hitting my windows. I jumped up to close the ones that were open and to listen to the pleasant sound. Later when I went out to feed the horses I actually got mud on my shoes, and had to scrap them on the boot scraper I have by the door that hadn't been used for some time.
The weathermen are predicting more scattered showers for this evening. I hope they are right.

No comments:

Post a Comment