Thursday, April 20, 2006

Two Mare, One Pen

I thought that after almost two years the mare were starting to get along a lot better with each other. But, alas, they got into a kicking match with each other agan. And, of course, poor Nita lost. It doesn't matter that she managed to make Star back off from her. Star had already got in a couple of good licks and that is all it took. Star didn't have a mark on her, but Nita had cuts over the back of both hocks. At first I figured that was all the damage there was. I washed the off with the water hose, one on the right being just a scrape while the one on the left hock was more of a cut. Then I put on some tinure of 10% Iodine, and a good dollop of Ferazone on each cut. Ok - nothing to worry about. By evening Nita's right fetlock had swollen to twice it's normal size. YUCK What now. Was it just a bruse or could it be a lot more serious. I hated to think it might even be a cracked bone. I stood her and ran the water hose on it for a bout a half hour. Did that several time over the next day. And refused to let her out of her small pen. She really hated that. I consulted on the phone with me vet, who was very busy, and suggested Bute for the inflamation. I consulted with my son who workes at a big breeding - he said the same thing.
Any way the swelling did go down - thank goodness, and she is doing much better. She wants to run and play now but I keep telling her she need to keep it low-keyed for a day or so longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment