Sunday, March 06, 2011

Is It Spring Yet?

Some days it sort of feels like spring but then it still gets so cool at night. I have been watching the birds and they are starting to pick mates and think about building nests. I have heard an owl a couple of times in the middle of the night when I go out with the dogs. I like to go out with the dogs for a few minutes. It is so different at night than it is in the daytime. No noisy traffic. No yelling neighbors with their loud music that they seem to think everyone wants to listen to when we don't. Not near as many barking dogs. And last night there was not even any roosters crowing from down the street. I have never figured out why there is the saying that the rooster crows at dawn when they crow all night here. I've never had chickens. I have considered it. But I don't think I want to be any closer to crowing roosters than I am already.
Back to the birds - I have seen several hawks flying over looking in the vacent areas for rats, chipmonks, prairie dogs, mice, and birds. That means they are migrating. There are very few red tail hawks and cooper's hawks that stay year round here. Wish they would to help keep the rodents down.
My fruit trees and flowering trees are thinking about blooming. The buds are swelling but no sign of color in them yet. We dug water wells around all the trees and gave them a good drink. Each winter the winds fill in all the water wells as well as covering up all my rocks and my few preninal plants. And it is blowing again as I type this.
OH for some rain.

No comments:

Post a Comment