Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Ants & Flies

Still hot. You know it's really bad when the tumbleweed start dieing due to the lack of water.

I sent a long hour today wandering and crisscrossing my property and going around the outside edges to kill out all the ant beds I could find. the ones I am after are the big black ant and big red ants that sting so hard. Each year they decide they need to line their nests with pieces of hay that are left behind by the horses and start invading the horses eating areas and feeders. And of course the horses don't like to be stung by those horrid critters any more than I do.
Ants are the only thing I use a cimicial on to kill. I use a product called Amdro. It is the only thing I have found that works. I found about 10 big beds just on the edges of the property as no one else around here seems to fight them. Just as they don't fight the flies either. Which of couse means that have more flies than I should even though I fight them.
I use fly preditors as well as fly traps for the flies and make my own fly spray for the horses out of viniger and Skin so Soft from Avon. It actually works better than the commercial cimical kind.

1 comment:

  1. I love fly predators. They are my best friends this time of year.

    I noticed an ant hill growing on the edge of my place yesterday. Guess I'll have to be on ant patrol too.

    ReplyDelete