Sunday, January 17, 2010

Magazine Subscriptions

Recently I had a call from Better Homes and Gardens Magazine asking why I had renewed my subscription to their magazine since I had had it for several years. They didn't like what I had to say.
First I don't like paying to get a magazine full of advertisements. In the last magazine of 224 pages I counted 109 full page ads with the addition of a dozen half page ads and another dozen or so that were only about a third of the page. That means that half of the magazine is nothing but advertisements. Why should I pay to get these adds that mean nothing to me. Ads I don't even look at. The companies have already paid to have them there.
Plus I am seeing more and more "fashion" pages in Better Homes and Gardens. I don't get it as a fashion magazine. If I wanted fashion I would get a different magazine. As stated the name of this one is Better "Homes and Garden's" not fashion.
And as for the "Homes" part. I think they need some new designers. What is with this idea of red walls everywhere. Red is an angry color. Don't enough people get angry now already with out making them more angry. And if the walls aren't red then their seasick green.
Half the recipes in the magazine look like something the dog threw up and all seem to have ingredients that are not available in the stores where I shop. Mostly Walmart, Albertsons, and Smiths. So where do I find these things. And if I do and make the recipe I am sure my family won't eat it with these weird things in it. What happened to good old meat and potato recipes?
No this isn't the only Magazine that I am not going to continue when the subscription runs out. It includes my horse magazines. Again they are half advertisements, but at least they are better to look at than B&G or fashion mags. And the articles are the same thing over and over and over and over.

No comments:

Post a Comment