Monday, March 30, 2009

Where is Spring?

We thought spring had come to the Tumbleweed Crossing but it was only a figment of our imagination. Winter was back. We were hauling wood in again for the woodstove as the temps were back down to about 30 degrees at night. And the days have been filled with wind and blowing sand. For the past week we have had wind everyday. Wind is not good for working with horses or trying to get the garden ready for planting.
I bought seeds, seed starter for starting tomatoes, squash, cucumbers, and watermelons. With the wind I don't dare put the little pots outside as they will blow away and I don't really have room for them in the house.
The peach trees and my Bradford pear trees were all bloomed out when the nasty weather hit. They were so pretty with the pink blossoms on the peach trees and the white blossoms on the pear trees. Now they are curled, shriveled and blackened. I am not sure yet if it was the cold, or the wind that got to them. Or both. Don't know if we will have any peaches or not. Of course Bradford pears are ornamentals and don't have fruit on them.
I do think I got some decent photos of the blossoms but they are still in the camera at this point.

1 comment:

  1. Spring hasn't arrived here either except on the calendar. We have six inches of snow on Saturday night and that's just not usual for us. I'm sick of this stuff and ready for warmer weather.

    ReplyDelete