Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Christmas Cards

When I was a child growing up my mom would let me help her with the Christmas cards. At first all I could do was help pick out which ones to send to who. Later I could address them and put stamps on them. We would send them to just about everyone we knew. With a lot of friends it was the only time of the year we heard from them and there would be interesting letters in with the cards. Sometimes mom would let me write the letters we put in with our cards because it was in the time before computers. It was almost as exciting to get a Christmas card as it was to get a present.
But it seems that Christmas cards are now a thing of the pass. Even though I see stacks and stacks of boxes of cards in the stores, and I buy some and add letters or notes to them I never get as many back as I send out. I wonder if other people don't receive cards form their far away friends when they send them out? Or doesn't any one send out cards anymore? Am I the last of a dying breed of card senders? I would think that if I send out a card to you you could have the descentcy to return one or at least a letter. Or let me know that you don't want to receive them any more and I will not send any more. This year I have decided that if you don't respond I won't send you more.

1 comment:

  1. ... I agree Sage, I love to get Christmas cards through the post, and even better if a letter is enclosed with lots of news about what the sender has been doing during the year, if we haven't been 'chatting' via email or via the 'phone that is. There's about 6 people who usually send cards to me, who haven't this year - or maybe they are lost in the post?! Christmas just isn't Christmas without receiving cards from friends and family. So, it is sad if people are not bothering ... it doesn't take much time to send off a card, after all, we have 12 months to get organised, it is not as if Christmas creeps up on us unawares. So, I'm with you on this one Sage. xxx

    ReplyDelete